Autel PS100 vs. Power Probe 4 Review: Is It a Good Alternative?

I’d been using the Power Probe 4 since 2020, and it was one of my go-to tools. Then it started showing some seriously bad voltage readings — 11.4V in reality, 24–30V on the screen. At $350–$400, and with me barely using its extra functions, I figured I’d give the roughly $90 Autel PowerScan PS100 a shot.


After using it in the shop, I was pretty impressed. It handles the basic power, ground, and voltage checks I use all the time, without the extra stuff I rarely touched on the PP4.



Autel PS100 vs. Power Probe 4: One Week in the Shop

This is the comparison that matters most to me.

Tool Autel PS100 Power Probe 4
Power / ground check
Voltage reading
Supply power
Supply ground
Advanced functions Basic More
Size / weight Smaller / lighter Larger / heavier
Work light Good Brighter
Price Lower Higher

For the way I actually use a power probe, the PS100 covers the important stuff:

  • Core functions: Power, ground, voltage, and power/ground output are all there.
  • Advanced modes: I rarely used them on the Power Probe 4 anyway. For injector checks, I’d usually grab a NOID light instead.
  • Portability: The PS100 is lighter and easier to carry around the vehicle.
  • Component testing: The dedicated ground connection makes it easy to supply power or ground and see if a component works.
  • What I miss: The Power Probe 4 still has better advanced testing and a brighter work light.
  • Overall: For basic electrical troubleshooting, I haven’t found myself missing much.



Where the Autel PS100 Fits

Tool Best use Main advantage Main limitation
PS100 Quick circuit checks Power, ground, voltage, power/ground output Fewer advanced modes
PP4 Broader electrical testing More functions Higher cost, more complexity
Test Light Basic power/ground checks Cheap and simple No voltage display
Multimeter Detailed diagnosis Most versatile Slower for quick checks

Quick take

PS100: Fast, simple electrical checks.
PP4: More capable if you use the extra functions.
Test Light: Basic and reliable, but limited.
Multimeter: Still the tool for detailed electrical diagnosis.

The Autel PS100 sits in a useful middle ground: more capable than a basic test light, much quicker for simple checks than a multimeter, and simpler than a full-featured Power Probe.


Who Should Get the Autel PS100?

I'd recommend the PS100 to:

  • Automotive technicians who regularly check power and ground
  • Mobile mechanics who want a compact electrical tester
  • DIY users doing their own electrical troubleshooting
  • Power Probe users who mainly use the basic functions

I'd look elsewhere if you regularly depend on advanced electrical testing functions. And regardless of which power probe you choose, a good multimeter still belongs in the toolbox.


For me, the Autel PS100 gets the important part right: check positive, check negative, supply power, supply ground, read voltage. it keeps the core circuit-diagnostic functions intact, drops the complexity I rarely used, and costs a lot less than the Power Probe 4.


For automotive repair shops and DIYers, the Autel PS100 is an easy recommendation if basic power-and-ground testing is what you actually need.


Contact Info:
Email: sales@AutelShop.de
Wechat: +86-13429866263
Whatsapp: +86-13429866263
www.autelshop.de

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post